Job Summary and Purpose:
Reporting to the Vice President, Operations, or delegate, the Senior Construction Manager is accountable for the field operational performance of assigned projects and provides representation and participation in customer and other project meetings. Oversees and coordinates all field deployment activities during bidding, planning, execution and close-out phases of the construction project.
Manages and supports the project team with the aim of achieving operational excellence, quality and safety performance. Provide project support from an operational, and resource standpoint through the management of field construction and installation activities. .
Primary Tasks and Responsibilities:
1. Provides leadership and oversight to all construction efforts to ensure that all projects are executed in accordance with the design, budget, and schedule.
2. Develops and implements operating plans, schedules, reports, control measures, etc.
3. Identifies field operational solutions that will improve productivity. Achieves operational cost savings across all project resources, product lines and services.
4. Ensures that contract and project closeout requirements have been met.
5. Plans, staffs, and supervises all assigned work unit activities through supervisors/foremen to ensure a cohesive operational unit. Monitors availability and flow of personnel and assigns teams to tasks related to the project.
6. Has responsibility for the field crews, their management, their performance, their development and their accountability for customer satisfaction and installation profitability
7. In conjunction with business management recruits, selects, hires, trains and develops essential personnel for the installation crews
8. Involved in the bidding process for change orders in collaboration with the Estimator and Materials Manager; provides operational input for into preparation of take-offs, estimates, etc.
9. Ensures appropriate and timely administration of paperwork.
10. Acts as liaison with contractors, design consultants and client to ensure construction activities support project requirements.
11. Confers and coordinates with project team to resolve operating problems and difficulties.
12. Oversees the utilization of equipment and implementation of tools in the field.
General/Other Responsibilities and Duties
• Manages consultants and contractors/sub-contractors for field operation activities.
• Creates and tracks core metrics necessary to drive the advancement of field operational activities.
• Develops and manages staff, handles disciplinary and performance concerns.
Education, Training & Experience:
• A minimum of 15 years of site management and supervision of the installation of conventional railway signaling systems, including all supporting systems, on complex commuter rail networks in brownfield installation.
• A minimum of 5 years of which have been an installation manager on complex commuter rail networks.
• Experience in supporting construction activities, on-site experience required.
• Thorough knowledge of construction technology, scheduling, and methods.
• Ability to effectively train, manage and lead junior staff.
• Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
• Strong problem-solving skills.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to clearly and effectively present data.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
• Works indoors and onsite/outdoor.
• Frequently sits, stands, walks, reads, writes and uses a computer keyboard.
• May be exposed to harsh weather conditions including very warm and very cold weather.
• Work is in and around live track (trains).